Cover Design Process
Everyone judges a book by its cover. Author Ready has a proven process to ensure that your cover reflects the quality of what’s inside. This page provides an overview of what to expect when you purchase a Cover Design from the Author Ready Store. You can start the process by completing the Cover Design Service Agreement.
What We Add
When you use Author Ready to assist with your cover design, we provide several valuable benefits:
- Our cover design experts have been trained in the exact same process that Richard Paul Evans uses for the books he publishes.
- We will walk you through each step of the process to make sure you are getting the best feedback at the right stage.
- Richard Paul Evans will personally review and give feedback on your cover design at two critical stages in the process.
What You Need
There are several items you’ll need to have ready before you start designing your cover. These items include:
- Test and select your final book title.
- Decide on your Author Name.
- Author photo (if you want your photo on the front or back cover).
- Author biography (if you want to include your bio on the cover).
- Book blurb, quote, etc. for cover (if any).
- Any other images you want added (logos, awards, etc.)
- ISBN & Barcode (if needed).
- Identify your book’s genre.
- Who is your target audience?
- Estimated page count based on book size. (i.e.: 165 pages in a 6×9 paperback)
Total Cost: $1,400 - $1,800
A quality cover requires a quality artist. Fortunately, we know how to reach artists worldwide, and know how to evaluate and select the best quality work. Author Ready charges $500 to assist you in this process. In addition, you should expect to spend between $900 and $1,300 for the cover artwork. You will have the option to pay more if you would like additional features or upgrades.
You should start your cover design soon after your first draft is complete. You absolutely MUST have your title finalized before starting your cover design. Our design process normally takes 5-8 weeks from when we first open it to artists until the final cover selection. Once you decide on your cover design, you may make some final adjustments with the cover artist.